ways to be an everyday hero!
1. “Like” the Facebook page or Instagram page of a small charity project to show your support.
2. Look for opportunities to give compliments; they’re free, take no time, and could make someone’s entire day. Don’t just think it— say it.
3. Make a little gift basket for a child in your neighbourhood. It will make them and their parents feel great.
4. After a wedding or other celebration give the flowers to a nursing home. To see the impact of these small acts, personally deliver a flower to each resident.
5. Send a weekly or monthly postcard to your cousins or other relatives. You’d be surprised how many people love to get mail.
6. Send a text just to let someone know how much you care about them. How wonderful would it be to get that?
7. Keep an extra umbrella at your workplace so you can lend it out when it rains.
8. If you know someone is having a rough time, ask how they are. Sometimes we shy away from people in tough situations because we don’t want to intrude, but just ask how they’re doing. If they don’t want to talk, they’ll let you know. If you don’t ask they might never mention anything to you because they don’t want to burden you.
9. Sincerely listen to someone. Don’t interrupt, and don’t suggest a solution. It’s very important and comforting just to be listened to. There’s a hadith in which the Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam listens without interrupting to a very lengthy story from his wife Aishah radiyallahu ‘anha until she finishes her story.
10. Compliment someone’s child. The parents will feel great too.
11. Write a positive online review of a business you like; it makes a difference. Some companies say that over 50% of their business comes from online reviews.
12. Learn the names of people— like the security guard, the person at reception, the staff in the shops you go to daily— and greet them by name and smile. It’s so easy and makes people happy. Of course be sure to observe hikmah (wisdom) and the etiquettes of hayaa (modesty).
13. Pay for someone’s meal.
14. Teach someone something, even if it’s teaching children to tie their shoelaces. This might become a beautiful memory of someone taking the time for them.
15. Invite a single person you’re not very close to for dinner during the holidays. (For some people these are difficult times to be alone.)
16. Buy a small gift for someone. Just because. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said, Give each other gifts and you will love each other. [Al-Bukhaaree]
17. Give a loved one a spontaneous hand-massage.
18. Hold the lift for someone. Let someone go first in traffic or in the queue in the supermarket. Hold the door.
19. If you print a discount-coupon on the internet before going to a store, print a few extra to give to other customers.
20. Clean your neighbor’s porch.
21. When you ask someone “Can I help?” also suggest specific ways in which you think you could help them. For example, if someone has just had a baby, you can say, “Can I drop a cooked meal off to you?” It shows you’re really thinking about them and makes it easier for them to say “yes.”
22. Motivate others to pursue their ideas. Say, “I think that’s a great idea; may Allah ‘azza wajal make it possible. I will make dua for you.”چرا باید طلا و جواهر را نزد کارشناس تعمیرات برد؟